Research and development (R&D) will be prioritised under the FCN, reversing years of constraint.
Our science and innovation team leads on supporting research programmes (where funding allows), sharing learning to minimise duplication, and helping members shape, trial and evaluate new capabilities.
To do this, the FCN will:
- Develop and manage a framework for R&D and innovation and act as the authority for this on behalf of members
- Develop and manage a clear pipeline for R&D and innovation
- Provide tactical and strategic advice on R&D and innovation
- Collate trends of requests from forces for requirements, so that many forces can benefit from advice prepared for one
- Provide guidance on the legitimacy of scientific papers which support forensic science methods
- Signpost grant and funding opportunities for members
Our science and innovation team will continually strengthen the base of scientific knowledge and evidence available to members.
We work with members, academia, forensic service providers, the Forensic Science Regulator, government scientists and many others to ensure members have access to the best available scientific advice, horizon scanning, planning and forecasting.
We aim to respond to initial queries within one day and resolve simple queries within two days, while more complex queries will have a timeline set out within five days.
Get in touch
To find out more about our R&D and innovation, please contact us.