The Transforming Forensics Programme is currently working with the FCN community, the Police ICT Company and selected suppliers to develop a number of specialist tools and capabilities for delivery through the FCN platform.
Operations will support these capabilities, which in the short term will include:
Scene data capture, annotation and transmission
- WiFi-enabled cameras, either via WiFi SD cards or through new cameras with built-in WiFi;
- an application or set of applications to manage the transfer of images from the camera and to enable the CSI to add annotations and notes;
- tools for the CSI to manipulate images into a storyboard to help investigators and forensic examiners understand the crime scene;
- infrastructure to enable the secure transfer, in real time, of fingerprint and crime scene images via the FCN platform for identification by a fingerprint examiner either locally or in any of the fingerprint identification bureaux within the FCN.
Digital tools for forensic analysis and examination
- web-based tools to analyse and compare marks and prints;
- web-based access to all data required for fingerprint comparison;
- the ability to produce automated practitioner notes during ACE-V (Analysis, Comparison, Evaluation– Verification) activities, conforming to accreditation guidelines through the use of a digital examination tool;
- the provision of a tenprint export capability, enabling real time on-screen comparison as part of shared suspect checking activities;
- the ability to share fingerprint examination techniques.
Forensic report generation
- the ability to generate standardised Streamlined Forensic Reports (SFRs) – initially on fingerprint outcomes but to be extended to other forensic capabilities over time.
In the longer term, and dependent funding sources, Operations plans to work with HOB and other national programmes to be able to offer further specialist tools and capabilities, such as:
Closed set searching and other productivity / performance enhancements including:
- integration with an IDENT1 orthogonal matcher to automate large amounts of comparison work in major incidents and crimes (closed set searching), thereby massively reducing the time needed to find hits and respond;
- increasingly automated fingerprint activity, making optimised use of the new IDENT1 strategic matcher;
- automatic uploading of data to IDENT1, replacing current manual entry.
Enhanced forensic intelligence
- the development of enhanced forensic intelligence opportunities by being able to search across all the data sources available through the FCN ICT platform.