This part of Commercial’s offering is primarily designed to help the FCN community optimise the commercial / contract landscape and harness the community’s collective efforts in consolidating requirements and opportunities that would not be commercially viable or deliverable at a local level.
Commercial will therefore:
- provide appropriate requirements gathering and market analysis support and input to FCN members, together with a co-ordination role for finalising requirements, ensuring that they do not conflict with other aspects of the national landscape, and confirming market capability to meet them;
- work with the FCN community to develop an appropriate make / buy strategy and, where required, a procurement strategy, making sure that it complements the broader national landscape and the pipeline of forthcoming procurements;
- where it is agreed that a national contract or framework would best serve the FCN community, act as a focus for this activity and work with the FCN community to determine how the national contract and / or framework is competed; how suppliers are selected; which contracting model is utilised; and how the resulting contract or framework is managed on an ongoing basis.
Commercial will be instrumental in supporting Science’s role in relation to R&D and innovation. Its role will include:
- assessing the potential impact of new technologies on existing FCN community contracts;
- establishing a process for academia and industry to work with the FCN that protects potential FCN Intellectual Property (IP);
- managing the commercial aspects of the process to choose academia and industry partners, including competition and selection criteria;
- contract management of the associated investments, including management of arising IP;
- ensuring that innovation generally is incentivised, R&D encouraged and rewarded; and IP exploited for the benefit of both the wider FCN community and for maintaining / developing a strong supply chain.
Commercial will also act as the custodian of the FCN Section 22 Agreement on behalf of all FCN members.